Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Costliest and the most valuable 2 Letters

Coming to the US for Masters is considered a SOCIAL PRESTIGE but thinking about it makes us feel that it is a personal tragedy. Starting off a little harsh as I feel that’s the underlying truth.

September 8, 2012 it was. With great interest to do my Masters, I landed here in the US carrying a lot of heavy luggage to survive here in this alien land, with an even heavier heart still thinking about what all I am going to miss that I have been getting in abundance in India. No Doubts that we MS Students have learnt a lot through our assignments and projects but we also have created a huge void when it comes to our personal lives. We have been making a living out of the difficulties that we face here throughout our Grad Life. Indeed Grad life has given us many moments to cherish, be it the potlucks, night outs, free food at tech talks, career fair for textiles if not for jobs and so on. But if you just turn back and see how much we have lost in the meantime, you will know the truth. We have been craving for Indian food and awing at the simplest vatha kuzhambu. Pathetic feeling.

26th straight month for me here in the US. I have definitely missed home, parents, awesome and troublesome brother, friends, grandparents, fun outings with friends on weekends, road side chaat shops, Chennai traffic and vootla soltu vantiya kind of Madras Tamil. I have to pay this steep price for just the two letters M.S. Will I get back this lost fun anytime? The answer is a big NOOOOO. I am sure this is the mind voice of most of us coming here for the Masters. This is their unvoiced opinion. Indeed the two letters are way too expensive than we actually think it is.

You can then ask me why I even came here. India is my country and I am very proud of it. We have the sound brains in Professors and students, resources, infrastructure and we can easily provide this standard of education. But the thing is India sees CGPA as a measure of IQ and salary package as a measure of success and topping it with reservation. This can’t and will never be a good sign for any country to grow. Hadn’t this been the case, all of us would have stayed back there and did our post graduate studies there. Reservations should be on economic backwardness and not on social status, caste and creed. Just try changing this and see how many Nadellas India can produce. There are many Indians who won Nobel Prizes for their contributions but the sad truth is they are all outside India. At least our generation should change this trend. If not now, when?? Wake up India!!

But I have had some great time too away from home. A home away from home, managing all activities by myself that I have never done before as I had earlier fully banked on my mom for those and hence my most valuable two letters here in the US is SB. You are indeed very special to me. You taught me what life is and what perseverance is. The campus, lagoon, hikes, lakes around, Ellwood beach and other viewpoints for sunsets and the list goes on and on. Apart from studying here at UCSB, I have indeed enjoyed the hikes and trails. SB: Beauty and the Beast. It has another side too. I have been sleeping around 11 30, but that changed after coming here. Sometimes I couldn’t even keep track of the time zone I am in. I can easily count the number of days I have slept peacefully. But Pacific Ocean and SB’s serenity and calmness taught me to handle pressure. I have just gone and stared at the beach and taken a solemn long walk in the sands of Goleta whenever I am emotionally down but then its calmness brings me back to my own self. You killed the pressure in me and made me to find myself at hard times. You and Music are my true companions during tough times. And indeed you are my most valuable 2 letters. And indeed MS is the most costly two lettered word in my World.

Prasy

1 comment: